If you want the good news first, go read the Benefits of Barefoot Massage page, so that you can learn about how much good Ashiatsu can do for a healthy body… otherwise, read on to see what major “tissue issues” may not be appropriate for receiving Barefoot massage.
Ashiatsu movements along the para-spinals and the lumbar region help to open the inter-vertebral disc space, increasing the space between the discs and allowing more room for the nerves to pass through. The deeper than deep tissue compression coming from the entire broad surface of our feet can really do a number on circulation of fluids through your organs, and the intrinsic attachments of all the joints in your body.
When you first visit Heeling Sole, we’ll be scanning your paperwork and health history for possible Ashiatsu contraindications. A “contraindication”, by the way, is a clinical term for a condition or factor that serves as a reason to withhold a certain treatment – in our case, a barefoot massage session.
Most new clients breeze through filling out their Health Intake forms just before an appointment, because at first glance to them, it doesn’t really seem to apply to a massage, and the form is eating up precious minutes out of their session… and also, they figure the more the write down, the less we’ll work on them. Not true! Our massage therapists at Heeling Sole are very highly trained in the technique as well as in terms of pathology as it relates specifically to barefoot massage.
Ashiatsu and Ashi-Thai are much MUCH different than any massage provided by hands, and there are many health concerns that we need to know about prior to using our feet and body weight to massage you so that we can best address your needs.
We are usually skeptical when your health history looks perfect, so lets dive into what we need to look out for to keep your massage safe:
when is it not such a hot idea to get an Barefoot Massage?
Ashiatsu contraindications (AKA, when we can’t massage you)
Ashiatsu is Deep Tissue without the pain
- If you are a woman that is pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- If you’ve had breast/pectoral/gluteal/calf implants or any form of augmentation/enhancement within nine months
- If you’ve had recent eye procedures/Lasik surgery within 72 hours
- If you have a history of Tuberculosis, thrombosis, aneurysm, or ongoing kidney disorders.
- If you are currently going through radiation therapy treatments.
- If you’ve had any knee, hip, spine, shoulder, or major joint surgeries within 6 weeks
- If you have a current flare up of phlebitis or cellulitis
- Any active Autoimmune Disorders (such as lupus, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis, etc) and Lyme disease
- If you are currently taking any blood thinners, steroids, cortisone, anti-inflammatories, pain killers, or muscle relaxants
- If you have uncontrolled high blood pressure or heart condition
- If you have a pacemaker, stint or shunt
- If you’ve had a rib or any bone fracture/break within 6 months
- If you have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis
- If you have been diagnosed spondylolithesis
- If you have Guillian-Barre’ Syndrome, have been diagnosed any active neuropathy of severe pain and numbness, or if you have any neurological disorder that causes loss of sensation or muscle weakness
- If you have been on a plane flight longer than 6 hours within the last 24 hours prior to your massage appointment.
- If you are sick. (If we get sick, then we have to reschedule everyone!)
- If you don’t even like deep pressure during your massages, then this isn’t for you- our work is intended to be deeper than deep tissue. Heeling Sole is not a frou-frou spa, and although the massages are relaxing, barefoot massage is not performed at a light depth. Ashiatsu is equivalent to a sports massage, and you may experience the intensity felt during an AIRROSTI or Rolfing treatment. Go deep or go home!
- If you weigh less than 130 pounds (Ashi-Thai, Pada Mudra, and Ashi-Anma are OK for most any weight, but not Ashiatsu.)
- If you are under 18 years old. We do not massage minors, so we can refer you to a hands-on massage therapist instead.
Issues that we need to know about
The following situations do weigh heavily on your massage. Although we may not need to reschedule your appointment completely based off of any of these, it will definitely shape the plan of action I take during your session, and I need to know about “stuff”.
- If you have any extra hardware installed (IUD, joint replacements, fusions, rods, plates, screws, alien probes, etc)
- If you are diabetic, hypoglycemic or a hemophiliac and on medication
- If you have been diagnosed with any stage of a herniated/bulging/slipped disc. We will need to know if you were actually diagnosed with this issue, or if you just think that’s what has happened.
- If you have spinal stenosis, spondylitus, spondylosis (Any “spondy”!)
- If you’ve had any recent injuries (Dislocations, sprains, strains, bumps, bruises, whiplash, etc)
- If you’ve had recent injections of substances at joint or muscle junctures (Botox, saline, nerve block, epidural, corticosteroid, even birth control.) We CANNOT massage the area immediately surrounding, and in some cases distal, or further out the limb, from any injection site. Doing so may reverse the effects of your shot and may cause harm to your muscle tissue.
- If you have had any kind of surgery ever – depending on the situation and how long it’s been, I may need a doctors approval, and I usually prefer that you completely finish your Physical/Occupational Therapy series prior to your session with me.
- If you have been diagnosed with Osteopenia (early stage of Osteoporosis)
We need to know if you are experiencing:
- Heavy menstrual cramping or abnormal flow cycle
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- A flare up of diverticulitis or any digestive issues
- Low grade fever
- Any acute intense pain that does not subside
- Numbness or tingling in any area.
- Any contagious rashes, warts, foot fungus, skin infection
Schedule your massage today!
Learn Ashiatsu for a better tomorrow!
Now that you know who we can’t work on, lets talk about how Ashiatsu can help you!
Click here to visit the Benefits of Barefoot Massage page to see the health benefits and why San Antonio and all of Texas Loves their Ashiatsu and Ashi-Thai deep tissue sports massage from Heeling Sole.